Overview of the Spehar CrossFit Workout
The Spehar CrossFit workout is named after U.S. Army Staff Sgt. Michael H. Spehar, who died in 2006 while serving in Iraq. This workout was first introduced in 2012 and has since been used in CrossFit competitions. It is a challenging workout that involves a combination of cardio and strength exercises. The workout is designed to honor Spehar’s memory and sacrifice.
Spehar CrossFit Workout Description
The Spehar CrossFit workout consists of the following movements, to be completed in order:
- 1-mile run
- 100 pull-ups
- 200 push-ups
- 300 air squats
- 1-mile run
The workout is timed, and the goal is to complete all the movements as quickly as possible. The recommended weight for the pull-ups and push-ups is bodyweight, and there is no recommended weight for the air squats.
Spehar CrossFit Workout Variations and Scaling Options
Not everyone who tries the Spehar CrossFit workout will be able to do it as prescribed. Here are some common scaling options:
- Reduce the number of pull-ups, push-ups, and air squats.
- Use a resistance band for the pull-ups.
- Do push-ups on your knees.
- Use a box or bench for the air squats.
Scaling options are recommended for beginners or those who are not yet able to perform the movements as prescribed.
Spehar CrossFit Workout Tips and Strategies
Here are some tips for completing the Spehar CrossFit workout efficiently and safely:
- Pace yourself during the first mile run to conserve energy for the pull-ups, push-ups, and air squats.
- Break up the pull-ups, push-ups, and air squats into manageable sets to avoid burnout.
- Take short breaks between sets to catch your breath and rest your muscles.
- Use proper form during all movements to avoid injury.
- Warm up before starting the workout and cool down afterward to prevent injury.
Spehar CrossFit Workout Athlete Performance
The average time to complete the Spehar CrossFit workout varies depending on the athlete’s level of fitness. Here are some average times for different levels of athletes:
- Beginner: 60-70 minutes
- Intermediate: 45-55 minutes
- Advanced: 35-45 minutes
The Spehar CrossFit workout is a challenging workout that honors the memory of a fallen soldier. It involves a combination of cardio and strength exercises and is timed to encourage athletes to push themselves to their limits. Scaling options are available for those who are not yet able to perform the movements as prescribed. With proper form, pacing, and strategy, anyone can complete the Spehar CrossFit workout and pay tribute to a true American hero.