Overview of the ‘Shawn’ CrossFit Workout
The ‘Shawn’ CrossFit workout is named after U.S. Army Staff Sergeant Shawn M. Clemens, who died in 2011 while serving in Afghanistan. This workout was created in his honor and is often performed on Memorial Day. The workout consists of a 400-meter run, 15 overhead squats, and 5 burpee bar muscle-ups, repeated five times. This workout is considered challenging and is recommended for advanced athletes.
‘Shawn’ CrossFit Workout: Workout Description
The ‘Shawn’ CrossFit workout consists of the following movements:
- 400-meter run
- 15 overhead squats (135/95 lbs)
- 5 burpee bar muscle-ups
The workout is performed for five rounds, with a rest period between each round. The recommended weight for the overhead squats is 135 pounds for men and 95 pounds for women. The burpee bar muscle-up is a combination of a burpee, a pull-up, and a muscle-up. The workout is timed, and the goal is to complete it as quickly as possible.
‘Shawn’ CrossFit Workout: Workout Variations and Scaling Options
The ‘Shawn’ CrossFit workout is a challenging workout that may not be suitable for everyone. Here are some scaling options for those who need them:
- Reduce the weight of the overhead squats
- Perform regular burpees instead of burpee bar muscle-ups
- Reduce the number of rounds
It is essential to choose the right scaling option to avoid injury and get the most out of the workout.
‘Shawn’ CrossFit Workout: Tips and Strategies
Here are some tips and strategies for completing the ‘Shawn’ CrossFit workout efficiently and safely:
- Pace yourself during the 400-meter run to conserve energy for the overhead squats and burpee bar muscle-ups.
- Break up the overhead squats into smaller sets to avoid muscle fatigue.
- Use a spotter for the overhead squats to avoid injury.
- Use a false grip for the burpee bar muscle-ups to make the transition from the pull-up to the muscle-up smoother.
‘Shawn’ CrossFit Workout: Athlete Performance
The ‘Shawn’ CrossFit workout is considered an advanced workout. Here are the average times for different levels of athletes:
- Beginner: 45-50 minutes
- Intermediate: 35-40 minutes
- Advanced: 25-30 minutes
The ‘Shawn’ CrossFit workout is a challenging workout that honors the memory of a fallen soldier. It requires a high level of fitness and skill to complete, but it is a great way to push yourself to the limit and pay tribute to those who have made the ultimate sacrifice. Remember to choose the right scaling option, pace yourself, and use proper form to get the most out of this workout.