Overview of the Josie Workout
The Josie workout is a CrossFit workout named after Josie Brumfield, a former gymnast and CrossFit athlete. It was first introduced in 2014 at the CrossFit Games. The workout consists of three rounds of the following movements: 29 kettlebell swings, 20 burpees, and 11 power cleans. The prescribed weight for the kettlebell swings and power cleans is 24 kg for men and 16 kg for women. The workout is considered to be of moderate to high difficulty and is designed to improve cardiovascular endurance, strength, and power.
Josie Workout: Workout Description
The Josie workout consists of the following movements, to be completed in order:
- 29 kettlebell swings (24 kg for men, 16 kg for women)
- 20 burpees
- 11 power cleans (24 kg for men, 16 kg for women)
The workout is completed in three rounds, with a rest period of one minute between each round. The workout is timed, and the goal is to complete all three rounds as quickly as possible.
Josie Workout: Workout Variations and Scaling Options
The Josie workout can be scaled for athletes of different levels of fitness. Here are some common scaling options:
- Reduce the weight of the kettlebell and power cleans
- Reduce the number of repetitions for each movement
- Replace the burpees with a less demanding movement, such as step-ups or jumping jacks
Scaling options should be chosen based on an athlete’s fitness level and ability to perform the movements safely and with good form.
Tips and Strategies for the Josie Workout
Here are some tips for completing the Josie workout efficiently and safely:
- Pace yourself: The workout is designed to be completed quickly, but it’s important to pace yourself to avoid burning out too early.
- Focus on form: Good form is essential for performing the movements safely and effectively. Take the time to learn the proper technique for each movement before attempting the workout.
- Use your legs: The kettlebell swings and power cleans both require a lot of leg power. Use your legs to generate momentum and make the movements more efficient.
- Break up the burpees: The burpees can be a challenging movement, especially when combined with the other movements in the workout. Consider breaking them up into smaller sets to make them more manageable.
Athlete Performance in the Josie Workout
The average times for completing the Josie workout vary depending on an athlete’s level of fitness. Here are some rough estimates:
- Beginner: 25-30 minutes
- Intermediate: 20-25 minutes
- Advanced: 15-20 minutes
These times are based on completing the workout as prescribed. Athletes who scale the workout may take longer to complete it.
The Josie workout is a challenging CrossFit workout that is designed to improve cardiovascular endurance, strength, and power. It can be scaled for athletes of different levels of fitness, and there are many strategies that can be used to complete the workout efficiently and safely. Whether you’re a beginner or an advanced athlete, the Josie workout is a great way to challenge yourself and improve your fitness.