Overview of the Joshie Workout
The Joshie workout is a CrossFit workout named after U.S. Army Staff Sergeant Joshua Whitaker, who was killed in Afghanistan in 2007. The workout was created in his honor and is often performed on Memorial Day. The workout involves a combination of running, weightlifting, and bodyweight exercises. It is a challenging workout that requires a high level of fitness and endurance.
Joshie Workout: Workout Description
The Joshie workout consists of the following movements, to be performed in order:
- 21 overhead squats (95 pounds for men, 65 pounds for women)
- 42 pull-ups
- 15 overhead squats
- 30 pull-ups
- 9 overhead squats
- 18 pull-ups
- 1-mile run
The workout is timed, and the goal is to complete all the movements as quickly as possible.
Joshie Workout: Workout Variations/Scaling Options
The Joshie workout is a challenging workout that may not be suitable for everyone. Here are some scaling options for those who need them:
- Reduce the weight of the overhead squats
- Use a resistance band or assisted pull-up machine for the pull-ups
- Reduce the number of pull-ups
- Reduce the distance of the run
It is important to choose scaling options that are appropriate for your fitness level and ability.
Tips and Strategies for the Joshie Workout
Here are some tips for completing the Joshie workout efficiently and safely:
- Pace yourself during the overhead squats to conserve energy for the pull-ups
- Break up the pull-ups into smaller sets to avoid burning out
- Use a kipping technique for the pull-ups to save energy
- Focus on breathing and maintaining good form throughout the workout
- Warm up properly before starting the workout, and cool down afterward to prevent injury
Athlete Performance in the Joshie Workout
The average time to complete the Joshie workout varies depending on the athlete’s fitness level. Here are some average times for different levels of athletes:
- Beginner: 35-40 minutes
- Intermediate: 25-30 minutes
- Advanced: 20-25 minutes
The Joshie workout is a challenging CrossFit workout that honors the memory of a fallen soldier. It requires a high level of fitness and endurance, but it can be scaled to suit different fitness levels. By following the tips and strategies outlined above, you can complete the workout efficiently and safely.