Overview of Heavy Grace
Heavy Grace is a CrossFit workout that involves a combination of weightlifting and cardio exercises. It is a variation of the classic CrossFit workout, Grace, which involves performing 30 clean and jerks with a barbell for time. Heavy Grace is a more challenging version of this workout, as it involves using a heavier weight for the clean and jerks.
The workout is named after Grace, which was named after a woman named Grace who was a cancer patient and a friend of CrossFit founder Greg Glassman. Heavy Grace is not a workout that is typically used in CrossFit competitions, but it is a popular workout among CrossFit athletes and is often used in CrossFit gyms.
Heavy Grace: Workout Description
Heavy Grace involves performing 30 clean and jerks with a barbell for time, using a heavier weight than in the classic Grace workout. The recommended weight for men is 225 pounds, and for women, it is 165 pounds. The workout is performed in the following order:
- Clean and jerk: 1 rep
- Rest: as needed
- Repeat for a total of 30 reps
The workout is timed, and the goal is to complete the 30 clean and jerks as quickly as possible.
Heavy Grace Variations and Scaling Options
Heavy Grace is a challenging workout that may not be suitable for everyone. Here are some common scaling options for those who need them:
- Reduce the weight of the barbell (even to a normal grace or less)
- Reduce the number of reps
- Break up the reps into smaller sets with rest in between
- Substitute the clean and jerk with a different exercise, such as dumbbell thrusters or kettlebell swings
Scaling options should be used based on an individual’s fitness level and experience with weightlifting exercises.
Tips and Strategies for Heavy Grace
Here are some tips for completing Heavy Grace efficiently and safely:
- Warm up properly before starting the workout
- Break up the reps into smaller sets with rest in between to avoid burnout
- Focus on proper form and technique to avoid injury
- Use a weight that is challenging but manageable
- Pace yourself throughout the workout to avoid fatigue
Athlete Performance in Heavy Grace
The average time to complete Heavy Grace varies depending on an athlete’s fitness level and experience with weightlifting exercises. Here are some average times for different levels of athletes:
- Beginner: 10-15 minutes
- Intermediate: 7-10 minutes
- Advanced: 5-7 minutes
Heavy Grace is a challenging CrossFit workout that involves performing 30 clean and jerks with a barbell for time, using a heavier weight than in the classic Grace workout. It is a popular workout among CrossFit athletes and can be scaled to suit different fitness levels. By following the tips and strategies provided, athletes can complete the workout efficiently and safely while reaping the benefits of improved strength and endurance.