Overview of Grettel Workout
Grettel is a CrossFit workout named after a woman who was a victim of domestic violence. It is a benchmark workout that is performed for time. The workout involves a combination of two movements: kettlebell swings and burpees. It is a high-intensity workout that requires a high level of cardiovascular endurance and muscular strength. Grettel is not a workout that is used in CrossFit competitions, but it is a popular workout among CrossFit enthusiasts.
Grettel Workout Description
The Grettel workout consists of the following movements:
- 10 rounds for time
- 10 kettlebell swings (24kg/16kg)
- 15 burpees
The workout is performed for time, meaning that the goal is to complete the 10 rounds as quickly as possible. The recommended weight for the kettlebell swings is 24kg for men and 16kg for women.
Grettel Workout Variations and Scaling Options
Not everyone who tries the Grettel workout will be able to do it as prescribed. Here are some common scaling options for those who need them:
- Reduce the number of rounds: Instead of doing 10 rounds, start with 5 rounds and work your way up to 10.
- Reduce the weight of the kettlebell: If the recommended weight is too heavy, use a lighter kettlebell.
- Modify the burpee: Instead of doing a full burpee, do a modified version by stepping back and stepping up instead of jumping.
Tips and Strategies for the Grettel Workout
Here are some tips for completing the Grettel workout efficiently and safely:
- Pace yourself: The Grettel workout is a high-intensity workout, so it’s important to pace yourself and not go all out in the first few rounds.
- Focus on form: Make sure you are using proper form for both the kettlebell swings and the burpees to avoid injury.
- Use your hips: For the kettlebell swings, use your hips to generate the power needed to swing the kettlebell.
- Breathe: Remember to breathe throughout the workout to avoid getting winded.
- Take breaks: If you need to take a break, do so between rounds or after completing a set of kettlebell swings or burpees.
Athlete Performance in the Grettel Workout
Here are the average times for completing the Grettel workout for different levels of athletes:
- Beginner: 20-25 minutes
- Intermediate: 15-20 minutes
- Advanced: 10-15 minutes
The Grettel workout is a challenging CrossFit workout that requires a high level of cardiovascular endurance and muscular strength. It is a benchmark workout that is performed for time and consists of 10 rounds of kettlebell swings and burpees. If you are new to CrossFit or have never done the Grettel workout before, it’s important to start with a lighter weight and work your way up to the recommended weight. Remember to pace yourself, focus on form, and take breaks when needed.