Overview of the Ellen Workout
The Ellen workout is a CrossFit benchmark workout named after Ellen Latham, the founder of Orangetheory Fitness. It is a high-intensity workout that involves three rounds of 20 burpees, 21 dumbbell snatches, and 12 overhead squats. The workout is designed to test an athlete’s endurance, strength, and mental toughness. It is a challenging workout that requires proper form and technique to complete safely.
Ellen Workout: Workout Description
The Ellen workout consists of three rounds of the following movements:
- 20 burpees
- 21 dumbbell snatches (50/35 lb)
- 12 overhead squats (95/65 lb)
The workout is scored by the time it takes to complete all three rounds. The recommended weights for the dumbbell snatches and overhead squats are 50/35 lb and 95/65 lb, respectively. The workout is designed to be completed as quickly as possible, with athletes pushing themselves to their limits.
Ellen Workout: Workout Variations and Scaling Options
Not everyone who tries the Ellen workout will be able to do it as prescribed. Here are some common scaling options for those who need them:
- Reduce the weight of the dumbbell snatches and overhead squats
- Reduce the number of repetitions for each movement
- Replace the overhead squats with front squats or air squats
- Replace the burpees with step-ups or box jumps
Scaling options are important to ensure that athletes can complete the workout safely and effectively. It is recommended to consult with a coach or trainer to determine the appropriate scaling options for each individual.
Ellen Workout: Tips and Strategies
Here are some tips for completing the Ellen workout efficiently and safely:
- Pace yourself: The workout is designed to be completed quickly, but it is important to pace yourself to avoid burning out too early.
- Focus on form: Proper form and technique are crucial for completing the workout safely and effectively. Take the time to practice each movement before starting the workout.
- Break up the repetitions: Breaking up the repetitions into smaller sets can help athletes maintain their pace and avoid fatigue.
- Use a weightlifting belt: A weightlifting belt can help support the lower back during the dumbbell snatches and overhead squats.
- Warm-up properly: A proper warm-up routine can help prepare the body for the workout and reduce the risk of injury.
Ellen Workout: Athlete Performance
Here are the average times for completing the Ellen workout for different levels of athletes:
- Beginner: 25-30 minutes
- Intermediate: 20-25 minutes
- Advanced: 15-20 minutes
It is important to note that these times are just averages and can vary depending on the individual’s fitness level and experience.
The Ellen workout is a challenging CrossFit benchmark workout that tests an athlete’s endurance, strength, and mental toughness. It is important to scale the workout appropriately and focus on proper form and technique to complete it safely and effectively. With the right preparation and mindset, athletes can push themselves to their limits and achieve their fitness goals.