Chelsea Workout: Brief Overview
“Chelsea” is one of CrossFit’s first six “Girls” WODs, first posted on the CrossFit Main Site as the workout of the day for Sunday, September 7, 2003.
This workout is an EMOM (Every Minute on the Minute) style and consists of 5 pull-ups, 10 push-ups, and 15 squats, to be completed every minute for 30 minutes.
The goal is to complete as many rounds as possible within the time limit. Chelsea is a full-body workout that targets all major muscle groups and strengthens the cardiovascular system.
Chelsea: Workout Description
- 5 Pull-Ups
- 10 Push-Ups
- 15 Air Squats
The workout is to be performed every minute on the minute for 30 minutes.
If you finish the exercises before the minute is over, you can rest until the next minute starts. The workout ends when you cannot complete the round before the minute is over.
Chelsea Variations and Scaling Options
- Pull-Ups: Banded Pull-Ups, Jumping Pull-Ups, Ring Row, or TRX Body Row
- Push-Ups: Knee Push-Ups or Inclined Box Push-Up
- Squats: Box Squat, Elevated Med Ball Squat, Squat Holding a Rig, Ring Supported Squat, or Bar in Rig Supported Squat
Tips and Strategies for Chelsea Workout
- Focus on the mechanics of your least efficient movement(s) and make up time during your most efficient movements.
- Pace yourself and maintain a steady rhythm throughout the workout.
- If you struggle to complete all 30 rounds, consider switching to a 30-minute AMRAP (As Many Rounds As Possible) format, where you perform each round slowly for the full 60 seconds.
- Beginners: 10-15 rounds
- Intermediate: 30 rounds
The Chelsea workout is a challenging and effective full-body workout that can be scaled to accommodate different fitness levels. By following the workout description, variations, and tips provided, you can work towards improving your overall strength, endurance, and cardiovascular fitness. Give it a try and challenge yourself to complete as many rounds as possible within the 30-minute time frame.